At Urethane USA we believe in finding you the right insulation and coating for every project and surface, whether its a roof, attic, wall or floor. We are a full service company that believes in providing personal service. All our assessments and estimates are free and without obligation. Our flexible, pragmatic and custom approach has helped many customers with many different needs.
Although we are known as experts in polyurethane spray foam, we also work with many other quality materials, including specialty paints and protective coatings. Some customers need a special coating for a particular commercial use; others want to make a customized energy efficient improvements to their building. Here are a selection of some of the products we have used or recommended.
Acrylic Elastomeric Coatings
Acrylic elastomeric coatings are liquid coatings based on acrylic resins. These are a group of thermoplastic substances derived from acrylic acid or similar compounds. Each coating is designed for a different purpose and has a unique chemistry.
The industry has come a long way from using house paint on roofs. The technical requirements for a successful roof coating are now well understood. We use acrylic polymers that were engineered specifically for roofing systems, formulations that have been developed by trial and error over many years.
Acrylic elastomeric coatings are great for seamless and waterproof roofing. The acrylic allows the roof to expand and contract without allowing water to penetrate the roof membrane during thermal expansion. In addition, the durability and reflectivity of acrylic coatings makes them a high value, cost effective investment, prolonging roof life and lowering building temperature, in turn reducing energy consumption. Our acrylic coatings can be applied to asphalt, single-ply, metal roofing and foam roofing substrates. After rigorous preparation we carefully apply the acrylic coating using sprays, brushes or rollers.
Silicone Elastomeric Coatings
Silicone coatings differ from Acrylic in that they are oil-based products. However, like acrylic, we apply them in liquid form. Our silicone coatings usually contain a higher solids content, giving them a higher viscosity. Like acrylic products, our silicone coatings are also considered “cool roofing products” and they tend to have greater longevity.
Silicone has a terrific ability to repel the elements and therefore protect the surface. This makes it a great option for waterproofing your building. Silicone coatings have a higher level of resistance than acrylic to ponding water without softening. With this in mind, if your roof has difficulty draining, silicone coating can be a great option.
Polyurea is a fast-drying elastomer which offers superior protection for concrete and steel infrastructure. These coatings are dual component, requiring highly specialized tools and applicators.
When applied as a water-based plural component spray, polyurea coating is free of volatile organic compounds and toxins. It offers outstanding resistance to many forms of natural and chemical corrosion, industrial-grade abrasion and impact damage. Due to its versatility, polyurea can be used for the following applications:
Water Containment Areas
Some Polyurea coatings provide long-term solutions to protect new or deteriorating water containment facilities. We offer ANSI-approved products for potable water vessels that contain drinking water and improve water quality.
Polyurea is also environmentally friendly by protecting against accidental chemical spills. Used as a secondary containment liner these coatings are chemical resistant. They have been used in many industries. Polyurea is often the best coating solution if you’re working with industrial chemicals, acids, hydrocarbons, or petrochemicals.
Oil & Gas Applications
Leading oil companies around the world use polyurea coatings to line new and existing tank farms and refineries. They are also used by environmental regulators, airports, railways, gas stations and transportation companies. The main application is to coat areas around storage tanks, refueling stations, and road tankers.
Polyurea coating are also used to seal abandoned wells, mines, or non-commissioned pipelines. SIPP polyurea can strengthen decaying pipelines at a fraction of replacement costs.
What to Consider when Deciding which Specialty Coating to use
Here are some items you should bear in mind:
- Exterior durability. How well does it weather? Acrylic roof coatings offer excellent durability, UV resistance, and substrate protection from degradation from sunlight.
- Temperature flexibility. How flexible is the coating at hot or cold temperatures? If your roof will experience very cold conditions, it must be able to tolerate movement and not be brittle and crack. If the roof coating product data sheet claims this coating will stretch 300% before breaking, that works at normal temperature. However, think what will happen at 10oF? Or at 120oF in the summer? Understanding the environmental is a key criteria when picking your acrylic roof coating.
- Resistance to dirt. If the coating is to reflect the sun’s heat, it must be and remain white in color. As it darkens as a result of dirt pickup, the air conditioning energy savings realized will be lessened or lost.
- Adhesion. How well does the coating adhere to the roof substrate? Different coatings work better with different substrates. So consider your particular substrate – aged metal or built-up roofing, cap sheet or a rubber-like material like EPDM, PVC or Hypalon? Adhesion property is an important consideration when selecting a specific acrylic roof coating.
- Ponded water resistance. How well does the coating adhere after long term submersion in puddles on the roof?
Our team at Urethane USA is here to help you make the best coating decision for your project. Our speciality coatings can strengthen, improve and insulate any surface or structure. By choosing the right coating, we will help you reduce energy costs, strengthen your building and make your valuable investment last longer.
When professionally applied, these specialty coatings should eliminate many roofing problems like leaks and cracks. Acrylic water-based products are considered a “cool roofing products” – i.e. energy efficient and energy star qualified. These are the main benefits: